top of page

Auto Insurance

Questions about auto insurance are common whether you are a new driver or you have been driving for many years. The Community Insurance Information Center will help answer your car insurance questions clearly, and we will explain insurance terms in everyday language. We are committed to educating consumers about the insurance policies and coverages they buy.  

Low rates for Auto Insurance  

If you live in Wisconsin, you already pay some of the lowest rates in the country for car insurance, evidence of Wisconsin’s healthy and competitive marketplace for car insurance. That means reasonably priced, high value policies are available for every type of driver. If you feel you are paying too much for auto insurance, shop around. Chances are, you’ll find a company and agent able to meet your insurance needs.

Is Car Insurance Required in Wisconsin?

Automobile insurance is mandatory in Wisconsin.

If you are stopped by law enforcement personnel because of a moving traffic violation or an accident, you will be asked to show proof of automobile insurance. Failure to comply with the new regulations may result in a fine of up to $500. The fine for providing fraudulent proof of insurance is $5,000.


What is SR-22?

If your Wisconsin driver’s license has been revoked by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) you will need an SR-22 Insurance Certificate before WisDOT will reinstate your driver’s license. The SR-22 Insurance Certificate is proof that you have obtained and paid for liability insurance coverage. Once you are eligible to have your license reinstated, WisDOT will require this proof of insurance document for three years.

How to get an SR-22 Insurance Certificate?

Tell your Wisconsin automobile insurance agent or company that you need an SR-22 Insurance Certificate. Your agent or company will file the necessary proof of insurance documents with WisDOT after you have paid the insurance premium. For more information on licensing requirements in Wisconsin, reinstating a license and proof of insurance requirements in Wisconsin, go to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website.

bottom of page